Case: House Party Horror: David Cauchi-Lechmere
Victim
Name:
David Cauchi-Lechmere
Gender:
Male
Date:
2009-07-11
Nationality:
British
Weapon:
Knife
Killer
Case unsolved
Status: Unsolved
Categories: Uncategorised
Case synopsis:

David Cauchi-Lechmere, 20, was stabbed to death during a mass brawl in Beckton, east London on July 11, 2009.

He was found injured after police were called to a disturbance outside a house party in Henry Addlington Close at around 3.15am.

David was pronounced dead at hospital at 4.05pm that day. A postmortem gave the cause of death as a stab wound to the heart.

Nine men aged between 18 and 20 were cleared of murder at the Old Bailey on March 8, 2011, and the case remains unsolved.

On the fourth anniversary of David's death in 2013 his mother and sister made an emotional appeal for information.

 Linda Higgins, David’s mother, said: “My son David at the young age of 20 was murdered four years ago on the 11 July 2009.

“There were a number of people there that night and one or more of them took my son’s life. They are still walking the streets and this gives them the opportunity to do this again.

“My family and I have lost out on all the happiness David would have brought into our lives. His murderers celebrate Christmas, birthdays, mothers and fathers day, but we cannot as there’s always a part of us missing.

“Physically and mentally we are destroyed. Devastation is only a small word that can explain what this has done to me and my family.

“Someone amongst those who were there that night knows who did this to my son - they know what happened. There must have been talk going around, people bragging about what happened.

“If you think you may know something no matter how small please come forward and help my son’s killer or killers be put to justice and let my son rest in peace”.

David's sister Sandra Cauchi said in her statement: “Just before 5am on the 11th of July 2009 I received a call to say that my brother David was being rushed to a London hospital because he had been beaten and stabbed.

“On arrival at the hospital we had to wait 13 hours while doctors battled to save David’s life but we were told that there was nothing more that the doctors could do and that David had passed away.

“From that moment on our lives were turned upside down. David was an amazing young man who loved his family more then anything. He was a fantastic brother and a great uncle to his six nieces and four nephews. He was always the one in the family that was the peace maker when there was an argument and in all honesty kept us together as a close family.

“My son was just three years old when David was taken from us, but four years on he still cries for and misses his uncle.

“I will never hear my brother say love you sis when we get off the phone or hug me goodbye I will never see him playing with my kids or telling me I’m horrible for telling them off. I will never catch him giving them sweets behind my back when I told them no because dinner was cooking.

“David was a big part of our lives and each and every day we miss him more and more. It is so hard to have to go through this daily pain of missing him and knowing that it was through someone else’s evil actions that my brother is no longer here for us to love and be with.

“So please if you have any information regarding my brother’s murder no matter how small it seems to you please please get in touch with the police and give them your information so that we can catch the monsters that not only took my brothers life but ruined the lives of his family.

“Not only did I have a brother taken from me but my mother had her youngest son’s life snatched from her. She will never see him get married or have a child of his own. She will never get to tell him that she’s proud of what he has achieved with his life. She will never get to tell her youngest son how much she loves him and how she would willingly give her life for his.

“If you know anything please help my brother rest knowing that he got justice for what was done to him and that those responsible will never be able to do it to another person and another family.”

Detectives are offering a reward of up to £20,000 for information leading to the identification, arrest and prosecution of those responsible for the murder of David Cauchi-Lechmere.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Attewell, said: "It has been four years since David was murdered and with the passage of time allegiances may have changed. Those reluctant to talk to us at the time may now feel able to and we would ask them to please come forward and help us with our investigation.

"David's family have been left totally devastated and are still searching for answers, they cannot rest until justice is served."

Initially eight men went on trial for murder in February 2010 but the case was stopped by the judge after a month for 'administrative reasons.' The delay before the retrial meant a ninth suspect was added to the case.

On 9 November 2010 nine men went on trial for murder: Junior Emmanuel, 18 [5/9/91], Nathan Jones, 19 [1/10/91], Iyoula Yfeko, 19 [28/7/91], Lewis Wilson, 19 [17/11/90], and Tobi Egunjobi, 19, Matthew Ginesi, 20 [2/3/90], Losimba Yfeko, 20 [16/7/90], Jerome Taylor, 20 [7/7/90], and Francis Meshach, 20.

The court heard David and his friends travelled from Bow to the party on the evening of July 10, 2009.

Tensions arose with another group from Beckton and the police were called at 2.40am only to leave the scene minutes later.

Minicabs were called to take the youths home but violence broke out between the two groups, during which a taxi driver was assaulted.

The Bow group chased the Beckton boys away but minutes later a group of around dozen men returned armed with knives, sticks, branches, a hammer, a pair of shears and an axe.

Prosecutor Jonathan Laidlaw QC said: "The purpose and objective of the group as they set off back to the party was obvious, they were in tent on revenge and putting right the dent to their collective pride.

"Neither did their objective require any sort of explanation. They were intent on attacking and administering a beating to anybody from the Bow group who they could catch."

Although his friends managed to escape, David was cornered outside the house and stabbed four times in the chest.

On 8 March 2011 the jury acquitted all nine men of murder. The Yfeko brothers were also cleared of violent disorder. Nathan Jones pleaded guilty to violent disorder and sentenced to 30 months imprisonment. The remaining six were convicted of the charge.

Wilson, Ginesi, Taylor, Egunjobi, and Emmanuel were all jailed for 30 months imprisonment while Francis was jailed for 33 months.

Contact the Operation Eleroy incident room on 020 8345 3715 or if you wish to remain anonymous phone Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

There are tribute pages in memory of David at both gonetoosoon and Facebook (RIP David 'Raver' Cauchi Lechmere).

background image for futher actions ‹Back to Map Mailbox: Send us your comments about this item.... we will pick out and publish the best ones: Mailbox@murdermap.co.uk Back to top›
CourtNewsUK Privacy Terms Accessibility Sitemap Bookmark and Share