Case: Strangled by her husband: Elife Beqa
Elife Beqa
Agim Isaku
Status: Solved
Categories: Domestic
Case synopsis:

Mother-of-two Elife Beqa, 34, was strangled by her husband on 13 August 2015.

Police and paramedics were called to the family home in Convent Way, Southall, at around 1.12am.

Ms Beqa died later that day. A postmortem revealed she died of compression of the neck and suffered bite marks to the back and a blunt force injury to the stomach.

Detectives arrested her husband Agim Isaku, 40, (14.8.75), an Albanian catering worker of Convent Way, Southall, at the scene and he was charged with murder.

Isaku went on trial at the Old Bailey on 1 February 2016. He was acquitted of murder but convicted of manslaughter on 24 February 2016. Isaku (pictured below right) was jailed for ten years and six months on 1 March.

The prosecution claimed Isaku strangled his wife of 13 years after becoming increasingly jealous of her friendship with another man. He monitored her phone, stopped her from using Facebook and insisted she leave her job.

Prosecutor Tony Badenoch QC told the jury that Elife told friends that she and her husband regularly argued after the children went to bed at night.

Referring to the fatal attack, Mr Badenoch added: 'She was beaten, bitten and she was strangled to death.

'When that happened she was at home, her two young sons were asleep in the neighbouring bedroom when this happened and fortunately weren't woken until officers arrived and were later tasked with telling them that their mother had died.'

After the attack Isaku dialled 999 and told the operator: "I just, yeah I think my wife is dead so."

When the operator asked how she had died Isaku replied: "Struggling together, struggling together, with each other."

Isaku, who came to the UK 20 years earlier and has British citizenship, told jurors he did not remember much of the incident, adding: 'I had my hands on her throat on the floor, I let go immediately, I was on top of her.'

He denied murder on the grounds of loss of control, claiming that his wife threatened to kill herself and the children if he left her and the marriage ended.

Judge Nicholas Hilliard QC, The Recorder of London, said he was sure Ms Beqa would never have harmed her children but added: 'At that moment in time what she said and did was such to make you lose your self-control against the background of all that had happened.

'What you did was to attack your wife. She sustained some blunt force injuries and several bite marks to her back when she could have been no threat to you and then you strangled her to death.

'The evidence that you were not acting in necessary and reasonable self-defence was, in truth, overwhelming and I am satisfied you intended to kill your wife when you strangled her to death.'

Detective Inspector Louise Knipe of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "This was a terrible crime that has taken the life of a young woman and robbed two young children of their mother. Eli told a friend she was she was planning on making her husband a cake for his birthday and she seems to have been working hard to make the marriage work.

"Despite Eli's efforts to make her husband happy, Isaku's unfounded jealously drove him to carry out a savage assault. He then tried to shift the blame for the violence on Eli, but the jury has seen through his lies and convicted him of manslaughter.

"No one should live in fear and I would appeal to anyone who is living with domestic abuse, or knows someone who is, to contact police. We have specialist officers who are there to help and support victims and your call to police may save a life."

background image for futher actions ‹Back to Map Mailbox: Send us your comments about this item.... we will pick out and publish the best ones: Back to top›
CourtNewsUK Privacy Terms Accessibility Sitemap Bookmark and Share