Case: The Wall of Silence: Wesley Blake
Wesley Blake
Case unsolved
Status: Unsolved
Categories: Uncategorised
Case synopsis:

The murder of father-to-be Wesley Blake in May 2009 remains unsolved thanks to a wall of silence surrounding the case.

Wesley, 27, was blasted in the chest as he sat in his Peugeot car in Croydon, south London.

Although the murder was witnessed by a crowd of people, not one came forward with any motive.

Officers from the Met's Trident Unit had to depend on two witnesses whose accounts were later rejected by a jury.

The police investigation revealed Wesley had a long criminal record and had spent years in and out of prison for robbery, conspiracy to steal and aggravated vehicle taking.

He was living on benefits but was expecting his second child by his partner of six years at the time of his death.

On May 18, 2009, he had been waiting for friends at a popular meeting point in St Saviour's Road, when an argument broke out.

The killer aimed a gun through the driver's door window and shot him in the chest.

Wesley - known by the street name of 'Corrupt' - stumbled out of the passenger door and ran up the street only to collapse in the front garden of a nearby house.

He was pronounced dead less than 45-minutes later.

One of Mr Blake's friends later gave a witness statement identifying the gunman as Henry Buahin, 24, known by the street name 'Menza.'

The same witness claimed 21 year-old Ahmed Jessy - nicknamed 'Hitman' - handed the gun to Buahin seconds before the shooting.

Buahin was arrested five days later at a hotel in Colliers Wood but claimed he was travelling to a recording studio with friends at the time of the murder.

Jessey, who lived yards from the scene, confirmed his story and blamed an unknown man for the attack.

Opening the case to the jury at the Old Bailey in February 2010, Prosecutor Crispin Aylett QC said?: 'Why was Wesley Blake murdered? There is simply no evidence as to what this was all about.

'In the moments before his murder, Mr Blake had been arguing with one or more of the people who had been standing around his car.

'The prosecution doesn't know what the argument was about nor why it was necessary to resolve it with a gun.'

After a six-week trial, the jury rejected the evidence of the two key eyewitnesses and cleared both Buahin and Jessey of murder.

background image for futher actions ‹Back to Map Mailbox: Send us your comments about this item.... we will pick out and publish the best ones: Back to top›
CourtNewsUK Privacy Terms Accessibility Sitemap Bookmark and Share