Retired engineer John Gibbons, 49, was found stabbed to death at his home on 17 March 1985.

Mr Gibbons, originally from British Guiana, had been stabbed through the heart and his throat was slashed.

John Gibbons
John Gibbons

His body was discovered by his 16 year-old daughter Dawn at the flat in Huntingford House, Horne Way, Putney.

A 28-year-old man was arrested and charged with John’s murder but the trial was discontinued and the case remains unsolved. There have been no further arrests in the case.

On 21 March 2017 Dawn Gibbons and the Metropolitan Police appealed for help tracing the killer.

This year I am coming up to the age that Dad was when he was killed. The pain of what happened only gets worse as I grow older and remember what my father and I did together, especially as I now have my own daughter.

My father meant the world to me and his death has had a massive impact on my whole life. I have to live with the grief that a person I loved is not here. The fact that my father’s killer still walks the streets of London has been extremely difficult to deal with over the past 32 years.

I would ask from the bottom of my heart that if you have any information, no matter how small, please come forward and tell the police so I can finally get some answers about why this happened. If the tables had turned I know my father would not stop until he had tried his best to bring the person responsible to justice.

Dawn Gibbons, speaking in 2017

John, who was divorced from his wife and also had a son, had previously worked as an engineer for London Transport. In March 1984 he retired due to ill-health and was looking forwarding to spending more time with his children.

He often socialised in pubs close to his home and appeared to be a popular and generous figure who often lent money to friends and family.

The flat at Huntingford House, Putney, where John Gibbons was killed

Detective Inspector Susan Stansfield, of the Met’s Special Casework Investigation Team, said: “John was a father and well-liked local figure in Putney. He was known to be incredibly generous and would often buy rounds of drinks for his friends at his local pubs. There is a possibility that his generous streak resulted in the attack at his home and we are keen to speak to anyone who felt they could not come forward and speak to police before.

“We are now 32 years on and there is a chance that someone who felt they could not speak out in the 1980s may feel this is the time to see justice for John and his family.”

To speak to police contact the incident room on 020 7230 4294. Alternatively, to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *