These 13 murders in London in 2005 remain unsolved? Can you help bring the killers to justice?

Benjamin Onwuka, 24, was shot in the head in Maxilla Walk, Harlesden, on 2 January 2005. He died a short time later in hospital.

Four men were arrested and a £10,000 reward for information was offered but nobody has ever been charged.

Contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Khang Tho Nguyen, 38, was found dead at a cannabis farm at a house in Bamford Avenue, Wembley, on 15 January 2005.

He had been stabbed in the neck and police said they believed he had been killed about two weeks earlier.

Nguyen, who came to the UK using the name Tho Pham, is thought to have been involved in the cultivation of cannabis at the property although he did not live at the address.

Detective Chief Inspector Jeanette McDiarmid said: “It is hoped that, with assistance from the community, information will come forward that can help us solve this murder inquiry.

“We would like to hear from anyone, especially in the Vietnamese community, who knew Khang to assist us piecing together the events that led to his death. We are also keen to hear from the men that rented the Bamford Avenue (address), or anyone that knows them.

“It is possible that there are also people who do not know either the victim or the men who rented the property, but they may know 48 Bamford Avenue and what it was being used for. We would be keen to hear from these people as well.”

Contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Junior Anthony Edwards, 30, was found injured by a passer-by in Spears Road, Upper Holloway, at around 7.30pm on 19 January 2005.

He died in hospital an hour later and a postmortem gave the cause of death as a single stab wound.

Police appealed for witnesses but the murder remains unsolved.

Justin Laurie Bernier, 20, was stabbed to death at his flat in Clapham Road, Clapham, southwest London, on 20 February 2005.

Police said there was no sign of forced entry and appealed for witnesses. DCI Glyn Jones said: “This is a seemingly meaningless death where a young man, aged just 20 years, has had his life taken from him. We would like to speak to anyone who was in the vicinity of 297 Clapham Road, late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.”

Our family mourns the loss of a young son, brother, nephew and cousin in a seemingly senseless killing that appears to be the result of anger. How can it ever be justified? “Loss of life is difficult enough for anyone. When it is a member of your family it’s even more so. Justin would not have harmed anyone – still tragically his life has mercilessly been taken in a reckless murder.

Statement of Jason’s uncle in 2005

Call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Bruno Hrela, 33, known as Tiger, was shot in the head in Cedar Avenue, Enfield, north London, on 5 March 2005.

His father told the Mirror newspaper he believed it was linked to a row over the robbery of Giggy Jewellery in Greville Street, central London, three months earlier.

Shaun Stanislas, 24, was shot dead outside his home on the Stonebridge estate in Willesden, northwest London, on 22 March 2005.

One of the two weapons used in the attack was a 1943 Colt 45 pistol which has been linked to the murder of Troy Robinson in Harlesden in June 2005 and Ryan Bravo in 2008.

The murder of Stanislas remains unsolved but it has been claimed in court his associates in the Press Road gang blamed Jason Greene, a rival in the Chalk Hill Boys / CHB group.

Jason Greene was shot dead as he took his young sons to school in Wembley on 18 July 2006. Christopher Toussaint-Collins was identified as one of the gunmen and jailed for life with a minimum of 25 years before parole in 2007.

The Metropolitan Police continued to list the case as unsolved in 2011 and nobody has ever been charged with the murder.

Read more about the recent history of gang murders in Brent (subscribers only)

William Henry Marney, known as Bill, was shot dead outside his home in Crayford, Bexley, just before 10pm on 23 June 2005.

Police said the 39-year-old was targeted by the occupants of a dark-coloured car in Mill Place just before 10pm.

The suspects, described as two black men, fired several shots before driving off in the hatchback vehicle, believed to be either a Rover 45 or a Peugeot with an M or N registration.

Nobody has ever been charged with the murder despite several public appeals.

Speaking in 2007, DI Bob Webb said: “A shooting is so rare that I expect people in the area to remember where they were and what they were doing.

“It was a warm summer evening and many people would still have been outdoors, in their garden or at least with living room windows open.

“It may be that you saw or heard something suspicious that night and have not come forward because you think it’s not important.”

Contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Peter Buahin, 23, was shot dead in a ‘ride-by’ shooting 100 yards from his mother’s home in New Cross, south London.

At around midnight on 25 July 2005 he was on a bicycle in Woodpecker Road when two men on bikes approached him and opened fire.

He suffered a fatal bullet wound to the head and died at the scene. The suspects fled on foot leaving their bikes behind.

Three people were arrested by detectives investigating the murder but nobody has ever been charged.

Peter’s mother Lucy Buabeng told the This is London website in 2006 that her son was working as a painter and decorator after serving a prison sentence for robbery.

She added: “I will forgive these killers if only they would come forward. I’m a devout Christian and believe in forgiveness but only if they repent.

“They took my son away from me and now my life is in tatters. It’s a wasted life and he’s left behind his four-year-old son Rahim who will probably never remember his father.”

Peter’s friend Orville Davidson was shot dead on the Woodpecker Estate a few months earlier on 28 March 2005 (see above).

Newton Thompson, a 61-year-old Australian tourist, was found dead at a hotel in Paddington, west London, on 1 August 2005.

The divorced father-of-two had been severely beaten in his room at the Comfort Inn in Paddington, west London, and his belongings had been stolen.

Detectives said one line of inquiry in the investigation was that he was mistaken for a convicted paedophile, Robert Excell, who arrived in the UK amid much media publicity two days earlier after being extradited from Australia.

Both men wore metal-rimmed glasses and had grey hair and a beard.

DCI David Little told reporters: “Noises of a disturbance were heard by other guests that night, there was some sort of fight and struggle.”

Police issued a CCTV image of his last movements but nobody has ever been charged with the murder.

Falwinder Singh Badesha, 33, was stabbed to death at his home in Belvedere, south London, at around 8pm on 21 September 2005.

Police said they believed he was attacked during an argument about the tidiness of the shared flat in Holmshurst Road.

Officers said they wanted to speak to one of the victim’s flatmates, Sukhdip Singh Chhina, then aged 23, who left the address before the emergency services arrived. At that time he had a cut to his forehead.

He was described as 5ft 9ins tall, with short dark hair and is said to have links to Amritsar City in Punjab, India,

Sukdip Singh Cchina
Sukdip Singh Cchina

The appeal was reissued ten years later in September 2015 and nobody has yet been charged with the murder.

Somebody knows where Chhina is. I appeal to anyone who knows his whereabouts to contact us immediately. Your call could help remove a murderer from the community, or may even eliminate a suspect from police enquiries. I believe that Sukhdip Singh Chhina has information that is vital to our investigation, or he may even be responsible for the murder. I am confident that we will eventually catch up with him, for this reason I urge Mr Chhina to come forward and speak with us now rather than continue to delay the inevitable.

Detective Chief Inspector Graeme Gwyn, speaking in 2015

Contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

George Edward Willis, 84, was found dead at his home in Peckham, south London, on 6 October 2005.

He had been tied up at his flat in Torridge Gardens and a postmortem revealed he had died of head injuries. His flying jacket and bus pass were missing.

Police appealed for information about a man who was seen arguing with Mr Willis on 28 September. He was described as white, slim, aged in his 20s with dark scruffy hair.

Douglas Yogarasa, 27, was shot dead in Kingsbury, northwest London, on Sunday 11 December 2005.

Police were called by a member of the public who found his body in Queensbury Road at around 9.50pm.

A postmortem confirmed he died of gunshot wounds to the head and body.

Yogarasa was a single, unemployed man who lived alone in Kingsbury and had family ties to Sri Lanka. It is thought he was walking home when he was shot.

A white van was spotted leaving the scene of the murder and police said it had distinctive white tubes running the length of the roof, of a type commonly used by plumbers to store copper piping.

Detectives offered a £20,000 reward for information but nobody was ever charged with murder.

On 6 February 2006 police investigating the shooting searched a house in Enfield and found an Adidas holdall containing £32,570 in cash and 60 bogus credit and debit cards hidden in a ceiling.

Five people were convicted in relation to a bank fraud and jailed.

Beril Hallam Augusti Tennyson, 85, was found dead in his bed at his home in Shepherds Hill, Highgate, north London, at 11.20pm on 21 December 2005.

He had suffered several stab wounds and severe head injuries and a postmortem gave the cause of death as stab wounds to his neck.

A man was arrested by police investigating the murder but was later released and nobody has ever been charged.

Tennyson, a descendant of the poet laureate Alfred Tennyson, was an Old Etonian, writer and broadcaster who had worked as an assistant head of drama at the BBC. He had two children and seven grandchildren and was open about his homosexuality, with newspaper suggesting that he regularly invited men back to his flat.

In February 2006 the Metropolitan Police released CCTV images of Tennyson entering Great Portland Street Tube station at 4.05pm on 21 December at Angel tube station in Islington around 25 minutes later.

The investigating officer at the time, DCI Tony Nash, said: “This was a brutal attack on an elderly and vulnerable man. Despite his years, Mr Tennyson was a lively individual who continued to lead a full and active life. We urge anyone with information to come forward as soon as possible.”

Police had offered a £20,000 reward for information leading to a conviction.

He was 85, but very active. He went to the theatre, played tennis three times a week and had lots of friends. He was very involved in their lives. He was an integral part of our lives and somebody has taken that away from us. He had a lot to live for and he was a very special man.

Daughter-in-law Janice Tennyson

Contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

The following unsolved murders in 2005 were listed by the Metropolitan Police in a Freedom of Information Request but no other information was provided or is readily available:

Min An Lin, 42 on 21 January 2005.

Michael McNamara, 48, on 10 February 2005.

Melanie Hentze, 25, on 13 September 2005

Dennis Donahue, 33, on 20 September 2005

Margaret Rose Domanski, 72, on 22 September 2005.

Support murdermap

We rely on subscriptions and donations to fund the website.
Sign up for just £5 per year.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *